¡HICA! Welcomes Applicants to the
The ¡HICA! Scholarship Fund directly supports Latino youth in achieving their dreams of higher education. ¡HICA! is committed to expanding college access and career readiness for immigrant youth in Alabama, recognizing the numerous financial, legal, linguistic, and cultural barriers they face.
Academic Scholarship for Latino Students
Deadline: February 28th, 2017 by 5:00 pm
¡HICA! is looking for a hardworking 1st generation Latino student, who is an immigrant or has immigrant parents, pursuing higher-education and meets the following criteria:
- Must be able to show proof of financial need
- Must be resident of Jefferson, Shelby, Walker, St. Clair, or Blount County
- Must be able to demonstrate previous community involvement and commitment to education
* Not eligible: ¡HICA! current staff, board, Scholarship Committee members, and their immediate relatives
Award: The scholarship amount is $1,000
¡HICA! will directly transfer the scholarship to the institution’s account – students will not receive a direct check.
All applicants must submit the attached application and required documents listed below:
- The recipient will be determined by the ¡HICA! Scholarship Committee (a group of individuals made up of staff, board members, educators, and community members).
- Finalists will be contacted for an in-person interview and the winner will be announced in April 2017.
- Scholarship may be applied to any 2-year or 4-year institution, technical school, or community college program.
- Completed Application Form: Read and carefully answer ALL questions.
- Education Intent: Copy of letter of acceptance to the institution or program, proof of enrollment, or class schedule. (Other documentation may be admissible, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details)
- Proof of Financial Need: Copy of FASFA or copy of tax return for the year 2016 (Form 1040).
- Letter of Recommendation: Submit one letter of recommendation from a teacher or counselor, employer, spiritual leader, coach or family friend.
- Academic Record: Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (submit attached copy of official transcript)
- Resume: Applicants must submit a resume to show any work experience, honors, awards, extracurricular activities, and volunteer service
- Commitments: If selected, scholarship recipient must agree to the following commitments: (Dates and details will be announced upon receiving scholarship)
- Allow ¡HICA! to use photo and story for future promotion of scholarship
- Speak to youth group participants at ¡HICA! youth event or workshop
- Attend a fundraiser and share testimony on how your education/scholarship has impacted you
- Essay: See application
Incomplete applications or those missing documents will not be considered.