Para conseguir información en español haz clic aquí.

Published 11/21/14

The President has announced that individuals that meet the following requirements may be eligible for administrative relief:

Deferred Action for Parents
  • Must be a parent of US citizens and lawful permanent residents. Does not include parents of only DACA recipients (current or future).
  • Have continuously resided in the U.S. since 1/1/2010
Expansion of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals
  • Arrived in the U.S. before 16th birthday no matter your current age
  • Have continuously resided in the U.S. since 1/1/2010
  • Are currently in school, have graduated or obtained a certification of completion from high school, or have obtained GED.
For detailed information from USCIS, click here.

  • Don't be scammed! Do not pay anyone until there is an official application process. Be careful with notarios and people who are not certified to deal with immigration cases. Make sure you find a lawyer or qualified representative
  • Prepare your documents.
    • Have proof of identity. For example, a valid passport from your country of origin or a birth certificate (with a notarized English translation) and a photo I.D.
    • Have proof of your stay in the United States (checks, utility bills, bank accounts, taxes etc.)
  • Save money. Immigration procedures can be costly.
  • Take action. This executive action is not a permanent solution. The struggle continues to get immigration reform that includes everyone.
To download this information in a handout, click here for English and click here for Spanish.


1. How can I get my birth certificate and/or passport?
You must contact your consulate that serves Alabama. Click here for a list of consulates serving people in Alabama.

2. How can I prove that I was in the United States on November 20, 2014?
For the application you will need to show that you were in the United States around the date November 20, 2014. It could be evidence from the same week or the same month (if you really don’t have anything else). If you do not have this type of proof, then you must do something as soon as possible. Some things that you can do now is buy something with your credit card, take out or deposit money in your bank account (the account with your name), or take out money from an ATM and keep the receipt!

3. What type of documents should I be collecting to prove my continuous presence in the U.S.?
We still don't know what the exact requirements will be from USCIS but in general we know that USCIS will require a document for each year since 1/1/2010. Also, if you will be applying for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), you will need to prove that you entered the U.S. before your 16th birthday. Here is a list of example documents in English and Spanish that may help prove continous presence.

4. Can I apply if I am in the process of deportation, have had a deportation case in the past, or have a criminal record?
We recommend that before applying or sending your application to consult with an immigration lawyer or an accredited representative. Although you may meet the requirements for deferred action, deportation orders or a criminal record may affect your eligibility. If you do not have documents related to your deportation or criminal case, you can request it from the agency that had your case (USCIS, state court, FBI, etc.)

5. How can I find out if I have a criminal record?
Knowing if you have a criminal record is important information to see if you qualifiy. There are three types of reports (or rap sheets) you can obtain: 1) FBI record; 2) State record; 3) Local court record. Click here for a guide in English and Spanish that explains how to obtain each of these records.

6. Who can help me apply?
For an immigration case, an immigration lawyer licensed in any state or a nonprofit organization with Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) accreditation may represent you. BIA is an an entity of the federal government that gives special certification to people that are not lawyers but have received training about immigration law. ¡HICA! has accreditation from the BIA. At this moment, ¡HICA! is not signing anyone up for consultations to see if they qualify. We are waiting until we have more official details and can determine a process to help the community.

In Alabama, there are very few immigration attorneys or nonprofits with BIA accreditation. It is important to be careful of notarios who are not authorized to practice law or attorneys that do not have experience in immigration. For information about how to search for competent legal representation, click here for a handout in English or Spanish.